Normally, in order to use the facility to send form from websites created in Xara Web Designer, you have to use third party services. Thanks to a simple php script and several simple steps, you can create such a form on your own.
The process will not work locally on the computer (so will not be available in preview mode in Xara), because it needs php to work. Only after uploading the website to the server you will be able to send messages.
Below I have attached an example form ready for download. The file contains additional directions on how to implement this.
1. For a form to start operating, you should write you own e-mail address, to which the email should be sent. You do this by:
- Right clicking on the form image
- Selecting ‘placeholder’
- Selecting HTML code (body) under the replace with HTML code heading
- Overwriting ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ with your own email address.
2. The address should be changed in every variant.
3. Optionally, you can design a new sending button. The button image should be exported to the graphic file, and then attached to the project (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+A).
4. The project should additionally have two webpages: from-success.htm and form-error.htm. There are the ones to which you are redirected, depending on whether the form was sent correctly or not. There are examples of these in the download
5. “Placeholder” containing the styling and “placeholders” containing the attachments should be only in the main variant.
Download php form demo Download form with CAPTCHA
The example editing of the form will be presented in the short film below
The article was written in collaboration with Neil Gardner (http://nrgwebsolutions.co.uk)